Luke, a doctor and a frequent companion of Paul during his missionary journeys, wrote his Gospel so that there might be certainty about the things taught about Jesus (Luke 1:4). He was not an eyewitness to the life of Jesus in the way that Matthew or John were, but he did his research well and he wrote a wonderful, orderly account (Luke 1:3) based on the testimony of eyewitnesses to Jesus (Luke 1:2).
In the first of our three part sermon series on Luke, Jesus: The Bearer of Burdens, we explored Jesus’ ministry in Galilee through teaching, healing, and the casting out demons (Luke 1:1-9:50). In the second part, The Discipleship Journey, we followed along with Jesus as He journeyed to Jerusalem, knowingly heading to the cross, and called people to follow Him despite the cost (Luke 9:51-19:44).
In this third part, The Last Days of Christ, based on Luke 19:45-24:53, we see Jesus’ actions and teachings in the days leading up to the cross, His love and mercy in the suffering of the cross, His victory over death at the resurrection, His ministry to the disciples after He arose, and His glorious ascension. These are all crucial events that display the truth of who Christ is and who we are in Him. It is His last days that show the manner in which He bore the burden of our sin. It is His last days on earth that give meaning to our journey as His disciples, both in the here and now, and in the new heavens and the new earth to come.
This series is being presented August 26, 2012 – April 21, 2013.
- He Ascended Unto Heaven April 21, 2013 In Luke 24:44-53. the disciples finally get who Jesus is. As he blesses them, he ascends into heaven.
- All Is Fulfilled April 14, 2013 In Luke 24:36-49 Jesus appears to his disciples…post Resurrection!
- Open Eyes and Burning Hearts April 7, 2013 This sermon is based on Luke 24: 13-35.
- The Third Day He Rose From the Dead March 31, 2013 In Luke 24: 1-12 we read that on the third day, Jesus rose from the dead…just like he said he would.
- He Was…Buried March 24, 2013 This sermon is based on Luke 23: 50-56.
- He Was…Dead March 17, 2013 In Luke 23:44-46, Jesus went into the thick darkness of God, on the cross, to atone for our sins.
- He Was Crucified… March 11, 2013 On the cross, Jesus reveals to us the will of God through our salvation. This sermon is based on Luke 23:26-43.
- The “Trial” of Our Lord: Before the Crowd March 3, 2013 In Luke 23:13-25, Pilate refutes Jesus’ guilt three times, but the people demand His crucifixion. Pilate acquiesces and sets Barabbas – a murderer – free instead.
- The “Trial” of Our Lord: Before Pilate and Herod February 24, 2013 This sermon is based on Luke 23:1-16.
- “The Trial” of Our Lord: Before The Council February 10, 2013 In Luke 22:63-71, we see how the men who mock and beat Jesus, unbeknownst to them, are actually fulfilling the prophecy of Jesus’ death. Jesus patiently endures this torture because of his amazing love for his people.
- When We Deny Christ February 3, 2013 In Luke 22:54-62, we learn how believing we can do things on our own is one of the biggest dangers Christians face – this is a denial of Christ.
- Betrayed With A Kiss January 27, 2013 In Luke 22:1-6; 47-53, the “power of darkness,” a spiritual darkness, blinds the men who came to arrest Jesus. Even the disciples were blind to the necessity of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.
- The Christ Who Prays January 20, 2013 In Luke 22:39-46, Jesus sets himself apart from the disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane and prays, in agony, preparing himself for the cross. By submitting to God in his suffering, he fully took on the burden of our salvation.
- Out of Tragedy Will Come Triumph January 13, 2013 In Luke 22: 35-38, Jesus prepares his disciples for a time of persecution and ostracism, rather than the acceptance and hospitality they have enjoyed to this point in their ministry.
- Grace Foretold January 6, 2013 In Luke 22:31-34, Jesus warns his disciples that Satan is determined to separate them from the Lord. But God can and does use Satan as a means of grace in our lives so that we can then turn to our brothers and sisters and share that grace.
- Greatness Awaits December 30, 2012 This sermon is based on Luke 22: 24-30.
- Jesus, Our Passover Lamb November 4, 2012 Luke 22:1-23 tells of Jesus spending Passover with the Disciples and of the institution of the Last Supper.
- Watch Yourselves October 28, 2012 In Luke 21:34-38, Jesus cautions us to watch out and not get so caught up in what is going on in this world that the day of judgement sneaks up on us and takes us by surprise.
- Signs of His Coming October 21, 2012 In Luke 21: 25-33 we learn of the signs of the coming of the Son of man.
- The Times of the Gentiles October 14, 2012 In Luke 21: 20-24, Jesus tells of the fall of Jerusalem.
- End of Days: God’s Dwelling Place October 7, 2012 In Luke 21:5-19, Jesus foretells the destruction of the Temple as well as the forthcoming wars and persecution we will endure before Jesus returns.
- Of Scribes’ Honor and Widows’ Mites September 30, 2012 In Luke 20:45-21:4, Jesus warns against striving for earthly riches, glory and honor to the detriment of those in need.
- David’s Son and Lord September 23, 2012 This sermon is based on Luke 20: 41-44.
- Sons of the Resurrection September 16, 2012 In Luke 20:27-40, the Sadducees try to stump Jesus with a question about the resurrection…they don’t succeed.
- To Whom We Shall Render September 9, 2012 This sermon is based on Luke 20:19-26.
- Christ the Cornerstone September 2, 2012 In Luke 20:9-18, Jesus uses the parable of the wicked tenants to explain what happens if we don’t accept Him as Christ.
- By What Authority? August 26, 2012 Like the money changers in the Temple that Jesus cleansed, we often replace true worship with the exploitation of worship. By what authority do we do this? By what authority is the message of Christ delivered to us in true worship? This sermon is based on Luke 19:45 – 20:8.