In the history of the first fifty years of our church, Dr. R. T. Nelson, Pastor Emeritus wrote of the first church service held in Lake Wales:
In the lobby of the Stewart Hotel, now The Plantation Inn, on Sabbath, February 9, 1913 at 2:15 p.m. all of the people of Lake Wales came together for their first public worship service. Through the courtesy of Mr. E. C. Stuart, two carloads of Bartow people were also present for this service.
Those present from Lake Wales were: Mr. and Mrs. N. E. Stewart, Mr. and Mrs. S. L. Mitchell, George E. Wetmore, Mr. and Mrs. T. L. Wetmore, Sam J. Abernathy, Miss Maggie Harris, Mrs. Lewis Parker, Mrs. T. J. Parker, Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Ahl, Jack and Janyce Ahl, Edward Lassiter and D. C. Mims.
Rev. N. E. Smith, Pastor of the A. R. Presbyterian Church at Bartow, preached the first sermon, using for his text the fourth Commandment: “Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy”.
One month later a lovely white church, overlooking beautiful Crystal Lake, with its spire pointing toward heaven was completed.
Please join us this Sunday at 4:00 pm in the Family Life Center for a community-wide celebration of this historic event.
Historical information and pictures generously provided by the Lake Wales Depot Museum.